Monday, August 12, 2013

Wow-za



What a week what a week!
I have so much to tell, but I'm crunched on time today so I will just talk about a couple of things.

1. I'm going to PERU tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've LOVED being in Texas but I've been thinking about Peru since January so I'm definitely excited to go there.  Since I got that note from Dad, I kind of already knew I was leaving, but wasn't 100% yet because I hadn't been told anything else.  So on Friday I got a phone call saying that I am leaving on the 13th! The other two Elders that are here with me are leaving as well.  So tonight a member is taking me to an apartment of some other sisters that live closer to the airport, and I'm going to stay the night there.  Then sometime tomorrow morning, somebody is going to pick me up and take me to the airport.  That's all I know. I have no idea of times or anything, but I imagine it's going to be somewhat in the morning because I traveling to another continent, so I'd have to leave earlier rather than later.  I'm not sure if I get to call at the airport, or if I'll have time or layovers or what.  Sorry for the uncertainty but I guess the only way to know is if I end up calling tomorrow sometime! Anyway, I'm very excited.  I haven't been letting myself think about it until today because I didn't want to get "trunky." But today I'm going to pack and am getting stoked.

2. Lots of super cool experiences this week, but one was way awesome!  Well, it was cool to me anyway.  We went to appointment last Wednesday and they weren't there.  (That happened to us a lot this week.)  Anyway, so we decided to go find some of the inactive members in the area that were on our ward list. (the ward gave us a list and asked us to update it- if people had moved and such.) So we stopped at one, and the guy was in jail.  So we walked over to the next block and the lady hadn't lived there in 6 years.  So we were going to walk back to our car, and Sister George suggested that we walked the long way around the block just to see if anyone was out that we could talk to. (Why would anybody be out in the 110 degree weather?) So we walked around and as we were walking, a guy sitting in a car rolled down his window.  We thought that was interesting so we decided to go over and talk to him.  We start chatting (in English) and one of the first things he said is, "Just so you know I'm a cop and we're scoping out this house right now so don't get scared of my gun right here." So of course that brought up a couple of questions and turns out that he is like an investigator/detective something and was undercover watching a house down the road a bit and waiting for a guy to leave so they could go get him.  So that was pretty awesome in itself.  But he said that he'd still like to talk to us and if he has to leave then he will.  So we started telling him about our church and he was super duper interested.  He said that he has been looking for a church to go to because he is a spiritual person, but doesn't go to church.  So when he saw us walking over he thought, 'oh I hope those are missionaries, because I need to find a church.'  And that's why he rolled down his window as we walked by.  (By the way, this whole conversation was intense because he kept getting phone calls the whole time about the whole investigation situation.) We gave him a Book of Mormon and he was very excited to read it.  So we tried to get his name and number/address so we could send the English sisters to go teach him.  But here's the killer: he couldn't give us any of his info! Too many people in the world hate him for putting them in prison, that he never gives out his info.  But he gave us his word that he would come to church on Sunday.  I'm not sure if he ended up coming, because we told him when and where the English ward meets, and we warned the English sisters that he would be there.  I'm so glad we were able to talk to him!

I've loved being in Texas and I'm going to miss it all! Except maybe the heat. :)
I'm glad that I've been able to serve here and help out some people here! A couple of our investigators are getting baptized this Saturday so I'm sad that I have to miss their baptisms but happy for them. 

Love you all tons,
Hermana Jones

P.S. Mom, yesterday I was playing the piano in sacrament meeting and the stake president wanted me to thank you for making me take lessons all those years so he could enjoy the music I was making. Haha.

1 comment:

  1. I have a picture of your daughter and mine from her email today. I can forward it to you if you send me your email address. Mine is hyerdrewjane@msn.com. Your daughter is very lovely.

    ReplyDelete